Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Fall is my favorite time of year! The crisp weather, family gatherings just around the corner and best of all PUMPKIN! Of course, Fall also means we are inundated with loads of sugary goodness. That’s why I make sure to do a 21 Day Sugar Detox in between Halloween and Thanksgiving and again between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
A sugar detox doesn’t mean you have to live off of chicken and broccoli for 3 weeks, get creative and make some treats…key word is TREATS. If you’re on a 21DSD muffins should be eaten in moderation, otherwise you wont kick the carb cravings and if you’re anything like me, carb cravings easily turn into sugar binges.
One of my favorite recipes this time of year are my Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Muffins. For a bit of kick, try adding a few drops of Clove Essential Oil in the batter, 2 should work. It gives it a nice bold taste without any grit. I’m not adding that to the recipe because it’s just a tiny suggestion.
- 1/2 c. coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 c. pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 •F
- Grease or line 6 muffin tins
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sea salt and baking soda, set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, oil , pumpkin puree and vanilla until smooth
- Add flour to the puree mixture, stirring to remove all lumps
- Add the pumpkin pie spice to the batter and stir until well combined
- Fill the muffin tins 3/4 of the way
- Add pecans
- Bake approx 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
You can add an additional tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice for a bit more flavor. Once they were done baking, I sprinkled a few with coconut sugar for my daughter who's not on the Sugar Detox. You can also add 1/4 cup of raw honey to the batter if you want sweet muffins and are not on a sugar detox.