Once Thanksgiving passes it seems we all begin to recover from pumpkin fever and start moving in to warm mugs of cocoa and ease into peppermint or egg nog bliss.
Many moons ago I would have been downing 2 large egg-nog lattes and a pumpkin scone by noon, but my new fav is peppermint & chocolate everything. I’m not sure when it happened, but at some point I became conditioned to crave Peppermint Mocha Latte’s the day after Thanksgiving; from what I can tell, I’m not alone.
The standard Peppermint Mocha Latte is filled with icky (but oh so tasty) chemicals. Lots of processed powder, refined sugar, imitation peppermint. I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t love that stuff, but as I get older I try to be more conscious of what I put in to my body.
Doing my best to avoid coffee houses this time of year, I’ve been whipping up my own Peppermint Mocha Latte using my therapeutic grade peppermint essential oil. The essential oil is not only delicious in food, relieves holiday stress by rubbing on my temples and makes the house smell amazing.
If you don’t have immediate access to peppermint oil, try dropping a couple peppermints, I use True Joy Candy Canes which I pick up at Thrive Market.
- 2 oz. espresso shot (or strong coffee)
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 packet stevia (or sweetener equivalent)
- 1 drop Peppermint essential oil (be sure it's edible)
- Steamed coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- In an 8oz mug add 1 shot of espresso with cocoa powder, stevia and peppermint, stir until it's a smooth paste
- Add remaining espresso and stir together
- Add steamed milk to top of mug (leave a bit so it doesn't splash of course