Our seasons in Southern California are completely screwy; I would expand the area, but can’t confirm that first hand. Anyway, there doesn’t seem to be proper Summer any longer. Why is that even worth a mention? Because in my head Summer means peaches, which is one of my favorite warm day treats.
When peaches are on sale I go a bit crazy and overstock the house. I slice and freeze some for smoothies, or to use in pies, dehydrate for treats, puree and, of course my favorite, PEACH SIMPLE SYRUP.
Peach Simple Syrup is, well, simple to make and great to have on hand to sweeten up drinks. Get some sun brewed tea going and pour in some simple syrup and you have yourself one tasty beverage.
I know someone is going to read this and say “I’ll never make that, it has sugar!” Yes, yes it does and it’s delicious! I’ve made it with both your basic refined white sugar as well as coconut sugar. The results are yummy either way, but coconut sugar comes out a bit darker. Don’t try using Stevia, it just doesn’t work.
MY FAVORITE PEACH SIMPLE SYRUP USES
- Sweet Iced Tea
- Ice Cream Topping
- Marinate Meat
- Thicken for Dipping Sauce
- 2 c water
- 2 c sugar
- 4 medium yellow peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped (no weight, just eyeball it)
- In a medium saucepan, stir together water, sugar and peaches.
- When mixture begins to boil, reduce heat and let simmer until sugar is completely dissolved
- Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 1 hour
- Strain peaches from syrup mixture and let cool completely
- Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator until ready to use
- Mix into iced tea, cocktails or mix with ice cream