GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CAKE
I can’t believe the holidays are right around the corner and I’ve hardly baked a thing – UGH!
The other day I asked my daughter to choose the holiday flavor of the week and she went with chocolate & peppermint. Ok, that’s technically 2 flavors, but blended together, make for a great holiday treat.
In the middle of making a chocolate peppermint cookie I realized I was missing 1 main ingredient. Instead of having a holiday meltdown I improvised and added a few other ingredients coming up with this cake. LUCKILY my daughter didn’t have her heart set on cookies and gets on board when I wing it, which tends to happen all the time.
As you can see, there are 2 different ways I’ve made the cake. The first is a bundt and then a regular 8×8 sheet cake. The Chocolate Peppermint Bundt is just doubling the recipe and adding a chocolate glaze or even powder sugar to the top.
The Chocolate Peppermint Cake in the 8×8 tends to be the cake I usually go with. Top with additional chocolate or even crushed candy canes.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 c. coconut sugar
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4c. coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 c chocolate chips (I like Enjoy chocolate chips)
- Pre-heat oven to 325F and grease an 8x8 pan
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in medium bowl until soft peaks form
- Gradually beat in the coconut sugar until firm peaks form
- Combine cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl
- Whisk egg yolks together
- Add egg yolks to flour mixture and stir until well combined
- Fold in egg white mixture to the batter and gently blend together
- Continue to stir and add peppermint extract
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Pour into pan and bake for 45min or until toothpick in the center comes out clean
Double the recipe if you want to make a bundt cake.