I know there are lots of gluten-free and even Paleo Funnel Cake recipes. The type where you drizzle batter straight into hot oil and sprinkle with powder sugar. Ooooh I love funnel cakes.
Did you catch yourself drifting into funnel cake land too? It’s my happy place.
I love cooking, but I love eating even more, so of course I had to find a way to cut a bit of time off from this frying batter nonsense. What I came up with was apple curls tossed in tapioca flour and fried up. With the sweetness of the apples I don’t feel the need to cover in berries & cream, though I won’t judge you if you do.
- 2 granny smith apples, curled
- 3/4 c. tapioca starch
- palm shortening for frying
- 1/2 c. coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside
- Using Zoodle machine, create apple curls (or slice into thin sticks)
- Coat apples with tapioca starch
- Place coated apples in strainer and gently shake, removing excess tapioca starch
- Place palm shortening in a deep skillet or fryer and heat oil to 375•
- Drop 1/2 of the apples into the skillet, creating a funnel cake look
- Fry for 1 minute or until golden brown, flip and fry another minute
- Remove from oil and place onto paper towel and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture
- Repeat with the remaining half
- Eat while hot!